Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reflection on the presentation today

In order to give an overall reflection on my own presentation, it is better for me to write it with the “fresh” memory for today presentation.

Firstly, I want to say that “Congratulations to all the presenters. Thank you very much for my team members, Akash and Chenchen. We are all done the good jobs! Cheers!” Indeed, today, all the presenters performed very well and show the full confidence to the audience, including myself.

This semester is quite special for me, because I am an exchange student from NTU. I took 2 modules in NUS and 6 modules in NTU as well. In fact, taking 8 modules in one semester in NTU is still in the average level. However, I am a partial exchange student. That means I have to travel frequently between NTU and NUS. That means I have to sleep on the floor of my friend's dormitory in NUS. Hence, that is not so easy for our team to organise group meetings as frequently as we want. Actually, due to my Taekwondo training on the Wednesday night, we only have less than 2 hours to rehearse the whole process of our presentation on the coming Thursday morning. Meanwhile, due to the video, it took about 2 minutes out of 20 minutes presentation. Therefore, how to control the time is the biggest challenge for us. Fortunately, although we were so passionate during the real presentation, the time was still in control.

Actually, when I was an audience sitting on the chair and listening to the presentations from other groups as well as my team member, I strongly felt the confidence coming from their hearts. At that moment, I have to say that I became more and more nervous, because I feared that I couldn’t perform as excellent as they did. Therefore, to reduce the sense of anxiety, I started to take deep breath and spoke to myself, “You have put a lot efforts on this project and you fully prepared for this coming presentation. Based on your excellent presentation skills, as long as you show the passion and enthusiasm to the audience, you will be the winner for today! Go, go, Ella!” Although these words looked quite stupid, they were the sunshine shining in my cloudy sky. They were essential for me to build up the confidence and help me jump out of my speech script. Without these stupid words, my presentation would go down to the hell.

The biggest improvement of my presentation is the volume and pace. I still remember that after the peer teaching, I saw many comments on my "soft" volume and shortage of confidence. The same fault won't occur twice in my life. Therefore, I grabbed this opportunity and turn up my volume and show my full confidence in front of the class. On the other hand, the weakness for my presentation would be the inappropriate pauses. There were still many “en”, “ah” involved in my presentation and make it sound not so fluently. Also, probably, I have used up my power and passion in the presentation session, so that, during the Q&A session, I didn’t answer as many questions as I could with strong evidences. I think there is a long way for me to improve my presentation skills and the weakness will be my direction in my further study.

Last but not least, thank you for the attentions from all the audience. Wish the following presentation teams all the best.

Cheers~

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ella!

    Through your reflection, I can really see your loving heart for everyone.

    I'd like to say, indeed, you have done a very good job. Especially your volume and pace has shown your passion and confidence. Keep that up!

    Just a small point to improve on, smile more in your later presentations. Smile can make us appear more friendly, which will contribute to the interaction with the audience. you know, during the presentation, the feedback from audience is very important.

    Lastly, hope you have enjoyed your uni life in singapore so far! you are more than welcomed to visit N US as frequently as u want after you finishing your exchange program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aoyun,

    Thank you for your comments.

    Indeed, I strongly agree with you about the issue of "smiling more". To practise more in front of a mirror or my friends will be the solution for the improvement of further presentation. I will keep it in mind and try my best to take it into action.

    Ella Liu Chang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ella!:) Great job in completing the presentation! You have done well, way to go! I believe self encouragements definitely serves as a big motivation to one self going! Thats a very good tactic to calm yourself down and definitely do not seem stupid :) sometimes I do that to myself to reduce nervousness too haha.

    I do agree with Ao Yun that smiling makes the presenter more approachable and friendly. Your presentation would be better with your nice smile! :D You might want to gesture and look at the audience in the eye more often. I believe these serve as non-verbal communications that build rapport between you and the audience :)

    All in all, I would like to thank your team for sharing with us the working conditions of the foreign workers. It made us realised our fortunate we all and I really wish that we could do more for them.

    The semester is coming to an end soon, I wish you all the best in your exams and future endeveaours! Tough times don't last, tough men do, I believe you can do it! :) Do visit NUS more often and I hope that you have enjoyed your semester in NUS!

    Cheers,
    huiting

    ReplyDelete